FYI: The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has a website that contains an abundance of helpful information.
The topics include:
- Chatting with kids about being online
- Identity theft
- Disposing of old cell phones and many more.
Visit FTC.GOV then click on consumer information and onguardonline.gov for more information.
COMPROMISES, DATA BREACHES
We are hearing about these threats more and more these days. The Home Depot data breach has been in the news most recently. To read The Home Depot statement click: https://homedepot.allclearid.com/.
Kearney Trust Company is proactively trying to protect you from losses related to compromises. We need your help too.
Independent Community Bankers of America (ICBA) provides consumers valuable tips when it comes to taking proactive security measures:
- Be sure to use unique passwords for all financial online accounts. Never share or duplicate usage of your password, account number, PIN or answers to security questions.
- Monitor all of your financial accounts and report any suspicious activity, such as false or multiple charges, to your community bank immediately.
- Do not save credit or debit card, banking account or routing numbers, or other financial information, on your computer, phone or tablet.
- Be vigilant about using a password on mobile devices. Be sure to set your devices to automatically lock after a selected period of time to ensure no one can access your smartphone, tablet or laptop.
- Do not provide your secure financial information over the phone or Internet if you are unsure of who is asking for it. Contact your community bank directly by using the phone number on the back of your debit or credit card, or stop in your bank to speak with someone in person. Remember, your community bank will never contact or text you asking for personal or banking information. Assume any unsolicited text request is fraudulent.
- Be aware of the location of your mobile devices (smartphones, tablets) at all times. Only log on financial websites when you have a secure, safe and trusted Internet connection
For additional information visit: www.staysafeonline.org
We have gathered some links to give you best tips for keeping your financial information safe.